Advanced Diploma in Equine Rehabilitation
The most comprehensive and flexible online course in Equine Rehabilitation with Exercise Prescription
Learn how to provide effective rehabilitation for horses, so that you can give them the best possible recovery while growing your skills and profits for your practice.
The Advanced Diploma Equine Rehabilitation is the only CPD/CE programme of its kind, that not only shows you how to carry out rehabilitation exercises safely and effectively but also teaches you how to create progressive, tailored rehabilitation plans for a multitude of conditions and takes the headache out of programme development with our proven framework.
Who is this course for?
If you are an equine therapist who wants to stand out in your field as an specialist in equine rehabilitation then this course is for you. Whether you are:
An equine massage therapist/manipulation therapist who wants to learn exercise rehabilitation strategies so that you can provide an ongoing plan for your patients and correct underlying movement dysfunction.
An equine physiotherapist who wants to build on their current understanding of rehabilitation and learn our methods and frameworks which will help you to select the correct exercises and develop effective exercise plans for your patients.
Our Advanced Diploma in Equine Rehabilitation will provide you with all the knowledge, skills and support required to provide an outstanding rehabilitation service for horses.
What our students have to say.....
What's included? Canine Exercise Rehabilitation
Foundation in Equine Rehabilitation
During this module you will cover the fundamental principles of exercise rehabilitation for horses which will include:
- What exactly exercise rehabilitation is and why it is so important
- Assessment and reasoning – how you will work in the vet led team
- Essential functional anatomy and exercise physiology
- How the body positively responds to exercise and how to use this advantage
- Therapeutic exercises to include those for: balance and proprioception, assisted standing and ambulation, strength and joint range of motion
- How to develop rehabilitation goals and measure improvement
- How to use our trusted framework to develop a rehabilitation programme
Exercise Rehabilitation for limb conditions
In this module you will build on your foundation knowledge of exercise rehabilitation and learn how to create specific plans for patients with conditions of the limbs. This module includes:
- Biomechanics of lameness and the biomechanical application to the rehabilitation of limb conditions
- Injury, repair and healing time frames
- Tissue disuse, remobilisation and conditioning
- How to use therapeutic exercise for the osteoarthritic patient
- How to use therapeutic exercise for conditions of the hindlimb including tendon, ligament and joint injury
- How to use therapeutic exercise for conditions of the forelimb including tendon, ligament and joint injury
- Using the framework to create comprehensive rehabilitation plans for patients with limb conditions
Exercise Rehabilitation for Spinal and Pelvic Conditions
In this module you will learn how to apply your skills and knowledge to develop and manage rehabilitation plans specifically for patients with conditions of the spine and pelvis. This module includes:
- Kinematics of the spine and pelvis
- Biomechanical application to rehabilitation of spinal and pelvic conditions
- Postural control and dynamic stability
- How to restore functional movement patterns through exercise – neuromuscular retraining
- How to use specific ground exercises for rehabilitation
- How to use poles, other equipment and training aids for rehabilitation
- Treadmills – how do they play a part?
- How to use ridden exercise for rehabilitation
- Using the framework to create comprehensive rehabilitation plans for patients with spinal and pelvic conditions
This module will bring together the principles and practice of exercise rehabilitation and is where you will demonstrate your competency through case studies in your practice. Your final assessments include:
- Case studies – these will be carried out with clients in your practice and will demonstrate your understanding of the rehabilitation process from start to finish to include planning and ongoing case management
- Video submission – to demonstrate your clinical competency and practical skills
Benefits of studying with us
Why should you choose to study with us? Below are some of the reasons:
- We have been doing this since 2003! Your tutor, Katie Lawrence, is a very experienced specialist in veterinary education and veterinary physiotherapy/rehabilitation and has been training equine physiotherapists and rehabilitation specialists since 2003. Katie’s unique combination of expertise means that she knows exactly what you need to know and exactly how you need to learn it.
- Free access to supporting literature and research – with your course membership you have access to relevant research, some of which is not freely available
- Free access to our developing software which contains instruction videos for equine rehabilitation. Access to this software is usually through a monthly subscription!
- Support and community – You will become part of our private facebook group just for our equine rehab students. Here you will have the support of your classmates from all over the world! We also have regular live sessions where we discuss points of interest and cases.
- Direct access to Katie for any help and advice with cases or any other area of your study. You are fully supported throughout your training.
- Quality assured CPD/CE – Anyone can put together a CPD and sell it online. There are no compulsory requirements to adhere to. However, we want to make sure that you feel confident studying with us so our courses and our organisation is externally endorsed by the Quality Licence Scheme which is part of the Skills and Education Group. This means that we choose to undergo robust and rigorous quality audits by external auditors to ensure the quality of our courses and provision is continually met.
Meet Your Tutor
Registered Veterinary Physiotherapist, Canine Rehabilitation Therapist, Specialist in Veterinary Education - Katie Lawrence
Registered Veterinary Physiotherapist, Equine Rehabilitation Therapist, Specialist in Veterinary Education – Katie Lawrence
Like many of you, horses are my world. I was on horseback before I could walk. My passion has always been the welfare and comfort of the horse and I have been a veterinary physiotherapist for 20 years.
First and foremost I am a practitioner, I am not a natural academic. I understand the challenges you face making sense of the research and most importantly applying it to your practice. There have been many times I have left a lecture theatre or conference wondering ‘how does this apply to me and my equine patients?’. I have trained so many people over the years in this specialist field that I know exactly what struggles you face as a therapist and I know what you need to learn in order to deliver the very best rehabilitation therapy for the horses in your care
Quick points about me:
- I have been a Veterinary Physiotherapist for 20 years and have been training Equine and Canine therapists and Veterinary Nurses since 2003.
- I have developed many courses including vocational diplomas and an undergraduate degree in Veterinary Physiotherapy (BSc Hons).
- I have been involved in industry regulation for many years and regularly sit on validation panels and on course approval boards.
- I developed the first ever blended learning Veterinary Physiotherapy Degree
- I have a specialist qualification in Veterinary Education from the Royal Veterinary College, London (RVC). I was the first Veterinary Physiotherapist in the world to be awarded this qualification.
- I hold a Postgraduate Qualification in Equestrian Rehabilitation and Performance.
- I was a founding board member of the Animal Health Professions’ Register (AHPR).
- I am a lifetime Fellow of the Higher Education Academy.
- My mission is to improve awareness of equine rehabilitation and exercise therapy far and wide, so that more horses can reap the benefit. Thank you for helping me. Read more about Katie.
We LOVE to follow our past students' success!!
Read about Caroline Bennetts and her growing business.
It was a life-long love of riding and competing her own horses that led Caroline to start her equine therapy business. Her years of familiarity around horses, along with her years of studying, have enabled her to run a successful business in the New Forest, on the Dorset/Hampshire border, where she works closely with local vets, chiropractors and other professionals.
Caroline has competed in a range of different equine disciplines, and helps others improve across various events including dressage, eventing, driving, endurance and mounted games. After years of experience perfecting her techniques, Caroline wanted to expand her skill set to ensure that she could treat her clients in the most effective way possible. Through the Advanced Diploma in Equine Rehabilitation, Caroline studied advanced strategies for exercise prescription. She now offers a full rehabilitation service for horses, which complements her other therapies and helps to optimise performance and recovery after injury.
Well done to Caroline for all her hard work and dedication to constantly improving her knowledge and skills. Check out Caroline Bennetts Equine Performance and Rehabilitation. Check out Caroline Bennetts.